Need help moving in winter on a budget? A MI-BOX moving and storage unit is the answer.
January and February are the coldest winter months in Calgary, hands down. Still, we’ve all noticed moving trucks on the road or personally know people who have opted into moving and storing during the frostbite season.
So what on earth would compel someone to move during the worst months of the year?
Surprisingly, there are actually a lot of benefits, especially for budgeters and frugal spenders.
A budget-friendly moving season
Just the thought of moving during the most bone-chilling months of the season is cringe-worthy, but that’s precisely why it’s a perfect time to move; no one else wants to. This means that the demand for homes decreases, and often, so do the price tags that go with them.
Even renters can find great move-in incentives meant to attract new tenants, like one or more months free, a signing bonus, reduced damage deposit, etc.
Whether you’re looking to purchase a home or rent, choosing to do so in January or February may save you a bit of cash to do other things like renovations and new furniture.
Saving a bunch of dough just by ditching summer moves sounds pretty good, so let’s go into what the trade-off actually means.
Moving company vs DIY
To hire pro movers or DIY it? That is the most important question when it comes to a winter move. Read on to find out what will work best for you.
The thought of not having to lift a finger sounds terrific. We all know how stressful moving and storing away belongings can be, so this is a big plus. It’s not all smooth sailing with a pro-moving team, though. Here are a few things to consider.
- Suppose you’re trying to save money, having pro movers defeat the initial purpose. A one-bedroom apartment will usually run about $500 for the first 3 hours, and that includes driving time. Could you imagine what the cost to move an entire house would be? YIKES!
- Even pros make mistakes. A tired and cold mover will NEVER look after your belongings the way you do. Oftentimes, you’ll also be signing a contract that waves moving companies from responsibility if any damage occurs–Just some food for thought.
- Your flexibility is completely gone. If anything urgent comes up, or you run into delays on the icy, snowy Calgarian roads, you could lose quite a bit of money. After the first 2 to 3 hours, you will pay the moving company an hourly rate that could accumulate very quickly.
If the potential issues mentioned above don’t concern you, then go for it! Let someone else do the heavy lifting. However, these issues are deal-breakers; there might be a more sensible option for you.
A DIY move during harsh winter months stinks! But at least you get the blood pumping while moving, which might keep you warm. Don’t forget that you get to save a ton of money too, so it might not be all that bad. Still, there are a few things to consider with DIY moving and storing as well.
- Walking up and down a rental truck ramp during less than ideal conditions is a recipe for slips and falls. That is sure to put anyone on the couch with an ice pack and a few painkillers, at the very least, putting you behind schedule.
- No one wants to push themselves to keep working in freezing conditions until every last box is in the truck. Now imagine trying to find volunteers to suffer with you. Even if you do, the likelihood of someone bailing last minute is pretty high.
- Say you beat the odds and finally got everything loaded up. Your hurdles haven’t ended there. You need to drive a giant moving truck in sketchy road conditions and eventually unload it all before late fees for the truck rental set it.
Both options definitely have a tempting list of pros and a discouraging list of cons. But what if I told you that there is a way to get the best of both worlds?
MI-BOX, the modern way to move:
The easiest and cheapest way to move and store your things during the winter is with MI-BOX. Let’s start off by going through all the things you don’t have to worry about!
✔ No tired movers accidentally damaging your precious belongings
✔ No astronomically high costs to move
✔ No rushing or strict deadlines
✔ No Driving a massive moving truck in poor weather conditions
That sounds pretty good already! So, how does it all work?
MI-BOX provides you with as many portable moving and storage containers as you need. Our expert drivers will deliver and align your unit on your driveway for a perfect step-in height with our lift unit. So, there is no need to climb a ramp or drive an awkward moving truck.
Worried that our mobile unit will stain your driveway? Be at ease. MI-BOX only uses galvanized steel and other high-quality materials to ensure your driveway is safe from rust. Your unit is also safe from theft and the harsh Canadian elements.
The best part is that you have 24-hour access a few steps away from your door, so that you can work at your own pace, with or without any help. For added peace of mind, you can keep your container as long as you’d like. If you want it off your driveway, we can store it in our secure storage facility until you need it.
We have three convenient sizes to choose from. You can even mix and match them as you see fit.
- 8ft – A perfect fit for small dorms, seasonal or garage items.
- 16ft – This size container works wonderfully for small apartments or 3-4 rooms of furniture.
- 20ft – Our biggest size can comfortably fit a large apartment or a home with 4-5 rooms of furniture and household items.
Join the hundreds of Calgarians who have chosen flexibility, affordability and a painless moving and storage partner. Read on to find out how you can too!
Here’s how to get started with MI-BOX
Working with MI-BOX is designed to be effortless, so you can focus on what matters most on your big day. Just follow the three easy steps, and you’ll be well on your way to a stress-free move.
- Give us a call, contact us online or stop by our office to get your details.
- Let us know where you want your MI-BOX storage container delivered and installed.
- When you’re finished, tell us where to go next.
Ready to experience the smoothest, easiest and most inexpensive move of your life?
Team up with MI-BOX for a seamless move
Whether you’re moving during the coldest months of the year or the summer, MI-BOX makes your move seamless and hassle-free.
Click here to start working with our dedicated team of moving and storage experts today