Not sure if you should hire movers or do it yourself? Get the best of both worlds with MI-BOX Calgary movers.
At the end of every DIY move, the first thing a person will say out loud, with plenty of witnesses, is, “I’m hiring movers next time!”…we’ve all been in those exhausted and fed-up shoes.
Yet, by the time the next move pops up, ex-DIY movers will almost always end up moving again by themselves instead of hiring Calgary movers, and it usually boils down to cost. How much are we willing to pay to have someone else do the heavy lifting?
To move on your own or pay someone else to do it? That is most definitely the question.
Let’s explore the good and the bad of each option, and even a potential alternative with a fine-toothed comb, shall we?
Good ol’ fashioned DIY
Gosh, this is hands down the most stressful option…we all dread how hectic and tiring moving by yourself can be. Horrific flashbacks of heavy lifting and unexpected problems flood into the mind when you think, ‘move it yourself’.
Meticulous planning has to be done, but let’s face it, the last time you did this, you had 101 anxious thoughts hijack your mental list of priorities, and your organized checklist was left on the backburner.
Organized Checklist OMG!!! Checklist:
- Make sure everyone got the day off, and no one gets out of moving duty
- Pick up the giant rental truck on time…why is there so much traffic?
- Make sure you have the keys to the new home and don’t lose them again!
- Children and pets need to be dropped off at the sitter’s 1 hour ago
- Constantly bribe family and friends with all you can eat pizza, so they actually show up
- Load and unload the truck at the speed of light…try not to yell at anyone for dropping furniture
- Focus! And don’t hit any parked cars as you manoeuvre your spaceship on wheels
- Hand the truck in on time to avoid late fees (you have pizzas to pay for)
- Oh yeah, make sure you don’t forget to refuel your moving truck rental. Will it even fit at the gas pump?
- Try to remember everything you forgot to do…what was on the organized checklist?
That all sounds pretty terrible, yet sooo familiar. We keep taking on this stress every time we move, but why?
Moving is incredibly expensive!
- Taking time off work
- First months rent
- Damage deposit
- Living off of fast food during the transition
- Choosing minimal insurance coverage on your rental truck and accidentally damaging it-facepalm
These are just a few examples of how the cost can pile up quickly and unforgivingly. Opting in to moving your items yourself as carefully as possible is the best way to cut back on costs (the main perk), even if it means sacrificing peace of mind.
Now, the other perks of doing it yourself with help from friends and family include, umm, well, can’t think of any at the moment, but I’m sure there are plenty of other benefits out there? Maybe…
Make it someone else’s problem
Alright! This is every DIY mover’s dream, right here. Just imagine not having to do ANYTHING after packing.
- Someone else worries about showing up on time
- No driving large and intimidating moving trucks or fueling them
- The heavy lifting is 100% covered
- More efficient and less stressful
It sounds like a pleasant dream, but it comes at a nightmare-ish cost.
It’s going to cost a pretty penny. For example, most Calgary movers will charge about $500 to move the contents of a small one-bedroom apartment, and after 3 hours (including driving time), you’ll have to pay upwards of $100 per hour. YIKES! How much do you think a single-family home will cost?
Now, that’s not the only punch in the gut. Most movers will make you sign a contract that protects them from liability should your items become damaged during the move.
Anyone will argue, “they are professionals; my stuff will be fine”. Well, are professionals free of mistakes? Will someone else REALLY care about your stuff the way you do, especially if there is potential immunity from liability?
Another thing to keep in mind is that your flexibility is 100% gone, so even if you’ve passed on a lot of the responsibility, you can’t have any slip-ups or accidents on your end. Calgary moving companies almost always have hefty last-minute cancellation fees.
The best of both worlds with MI-BOX
Here we have a little-known option. Modern moving!
At this point, you know that there are a lot of pros and cons to DIY and pro Calgary movers. What if you could have the best of both worlds all bundled in a perfectly affordable, hassle-free package, 100% controlled by you?
Too good to be true? This is an experience that never turns into a nightmare.
With MI-BOX, our professional drivers drop off and pick up a portable moving container with state-of-the-art lift technology (so fun to watch) just a few steps away from your front door, so you’ll never have to worry about awkward moving trucks again.
Because your storage unit is right at your door, you’ll have secure access 24/7. You can even have it delivered to your home days, weeks or even months before the actual move date. You can move at your own pace without worrying about other people damaging your precious belongings.
Also, you no longer have to stress and tire out friends and family members on moving day, and they won’t regret knowing you. BONUS! Instead, you can have them over for a fun housewarming get-together.
Most importantly, you’ll free up time for other priorities on moving day, meaning your organized checklist stays organized.
How does it work?
Working with MI-BOX has been carefully designed to be easy, stress-free and to the point. Just follow these simple steps.
- Reach out online, give us a call, or stop-on by for a quick chat.
- Answer a few moving questions, and we’ll help you find the perfect unit, as well as a free quote.
- Tell us where to drop off your storage container and when to pick it up.
That’s all there is to it!
Don’t narrow your Calgary moving solutions down to inconveniences or bank-draining options. Click here to move the modern way!